Alright! I definitely need a game plan if I want to check these remaining 8 states off my list. (Collect them all! Hehe)
From a quick glance I’m thinking this is most manageable in 5 different trips. 6 trips if I want to spend some quality time at each location I’m going to visit. Here’s a quick idea of what I’m brain storming!!!
1. Alaska would have to be it’s own trip. I’m highly considering making this a weekend adventure as flights are around $215 round trip to Anchorage for the next few months. Denali National Park is a high on destination wish list! Bad news for me though, from what I’ve been reading during the winter a lot is off limits without guides and it’s freaking expensive to stay in the lodges. So I might just somehow make a weekend trip going to Anchorage and hit Denali at another time.
2. Maine would also have to be it’s own trip. I’m dying to go to Arcadia National Park. This also sits pretty high on my list right now.
3. North and South Dakota. South Dakota has Badlands National Park, Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse that I’d love to see. I’ll be the first to admit that the idea of traveling through flat North Dakota isn’t high on my list. I’d say I’m slightly shy of Kenophobia just thinking about driving through there. If some kind North Dakotan would like to tell me about some beautiful places there, that would probably be helpful to entice me to check this state off my list. So far Theodore Roosevelt National Park is the only location I’ve researched.
4. Nevada! Just a cheap flight to Vegas baby! Actually, I highly doubt Las Vegas is my cup of tea, but ya never know!?!?! In all actuality I would probably rent a car, check out Hoover damn and then head up north to Great Basin National Park or take 2 or 3 hour drive to Joshua Tree National Park or Death Valley in California.
5. Idaho, Montana and Wyoming! This is my holy grail of adventure sites! Yellowstone, Glacier and Grand Teton National parks are calling to me! I can’t believe I haven’t been to these places yet. It’s kind of embarrassing actually for someone who loves to hike and explore as much as I say I do. 😉
I’m coming for you Alaska, Idaho, Maine, Montana, Nevada, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wyoming!